This is a map of Armenia in the early medieval period. The map accompanies the printed text of the Latin and Armenian edition of Movses Khorenatzi's "History of Armenia", which also incorporates the geographical text called "Ashkharhatzuytz" (World Mirror) attributed here to Movses Khorenaci, but lately attributed to the seventh-century polymath, Anania Shirakatzi. the Latin translation is by William and George Whiston and the book was published in 1736, in London.
The map has been drawn taking into consideration the descriptions of "Ashkharhatzuytz". It shows the 15 provinces of Greater Armenia and their approximate borders. Lesser Armeni is in Eastern Anatolia, just to the west of Greater Armenia. The external borders of Greater Armenia are shown by broken lines, while the borders of the provinces are indicated by dotted lines.
The towns shown include "Erivanum" (Yerevan), "Valarsapata" (Vagharshapat or Echmiadzin), "Arzerum" or "Carin" (the old armenian name of Erzerum - Karin; in Greek Theodosiopolis), "Vannum" or "Semiramocerta" (Van or Shamiramakert), "Betlis" (Bitlis), "Arsamosata" (Arshamashat) and "Naxuanum" (Nakhijevan). "Mount Ararat" or "Masis" is also shown. The Armenian name of the River Arax(es) - "Erasches" (Yeraskh) is also mentioned. Comparing this map with the Ptolemaic version of the same area, it can be noted that the earlier Ptolemaic maps had an acceptable degree of accuracy.
Private collection - London