Forum about Animals - Bee
- Optional filter -
Text search :

modify delete 34414 - from Scotia , 18 y.o. (AUS) - 2020-05-05
Bee : "Did you know Bees dance? ^^"

Hi guys, i just came to check out this forum. See who else can appreciate bees haha. I'm actually studying language and communication at university and something very interesting that i thought the people here could appreciate:
Did you know that bees dance? When they find a new food source and return to the hive they do a 'Waggle' dance that tells the other scout bees where to find the new food. Its actually quite complex and amazing. for one thing, the different elements of the dance indicate the specific angle the food is located at, the distance from the hive, what direction it is at, etc. All this in one little dance. They even bring samples of the food back for others to taste the quality.
Another reason it is unique is because, typically, in animal communication, animals cannot refer to something that is not present. Yet bees can clearly do this by communicating about where a food source is. on top of this, this waggle dance isnt just a reaction to finding a new food source, they don't just do it because its innate. Researchers found that if a bee returned to an empty hive after it found new food, it didn't bother doing this dance suggesting that it's in fact a true communication, it's done with meaning and purpose.
Anyway, that's all, i wont bore you anymore haha but if ou cant tell from this little para, communication, especially animal, isnt as simple as you may think.

Forum about Animals - Bee - (c) Etudiants du Monde / Students of the World
if any remark / question, please contact the webmaster:

https://StudentsOfTheWorld.info