Forum about Jobs - Astronomer
- Optional filter -
Text search :

modify delete 14941 - from Rita , 12 y.o. (USA) - 2012-02-19
Astronomer : "Cost of A Backyard Telescope"

Hey! I have been intrigued by astronomy & space since I was in 3rd or 4th grade! & I was wondering what the price of a backyard telescope (in US currency) would be; Please tell me soon because I need to know how much I would need to save up! (I currently have an [rounded] about of $60)

14941 -
modify delete 15473 - Reply from Rita , 12 y.o. (USA) - 2012-03-30

Thank you so much for replying! That helps me a ton! True, I knew I wouldn't get very far with the $60 I have... You are so very kind for taking the time to write that for me! By the way: You are quite lucky to be studying abroad! I want to study in Japan when I am older:)

14941 -
modify delete 15384 - Reply from Duke , 35 y.o. (BNG) - 2012-03-22

Hi,

I am from Bangladesh, currently living abroad. I know very little about Astronomy and Telescope. Astronomy is my main hobby.

Regarding your question. It depends on your demand of research and darkness of the sky of your area. There are two types of instrumental requirement, visual and Astrophotography.

Visual: Planets, moon, sun , DSO (deep sky objects). Viewing DSO will require short focal length with large optics let say 5” optics or more with f/5, Viewing Moon don’t require large optics. Viewing Planets require large optics with long focal length minimum 5” f/10. Sun don’t require large optics telescope but the scope will require solar filter on it, it is not expensive but if you want to see even more details, Ha (Hydrogen-Alpha filter is the answer, it is much more expensive then the telescope itself, let say few hundred dollars to thousands.

Astrophotography: practice makes perfect. Need to learn lots, also lots of $$$$ require to spend. Most money will spend on the mount. 80mm ED Telescope can take decent picture of DSO. 80mm Ed will cost about $400 to $800+ depends on the quality, mount will cost few thousands, Autoguider, guide telescope and DSLR or CCD CAMERA, and a Computer. Total cost few thousands $.

Be honest with you $60 telescope? you will not be pleased with it.

Thank you
Duke

Forum about Jobs - Astronomer - (c) Etudiants du Monde / Students of the World
if any remark / question, please contact the webmaster:

https://StudentsOfTheWorld.info