Forum about Debates - Society
- Optional filter -
Text search :

modify delete 18144 - from Abram , 16 y.o. (usa) - 2018-04-04
Society : "Censorship"

Dear debaters,

I have heard a proposal to "supprime," delete in English, the thread on either guns prohibition or Islam (it's unclear which), both important issues. I understand that some issues are sensitive and people would rather not talk about them just because they are distressing. Ignoring issues, however, will produce a far more grievous outcome and a more long-lasting period of hardship than the brief comfort allowed by a moment of blissful ignorance.

I encourage everyone to be patient, be polite, and have fortitude. If we strive toward these qualities in our discourse, then we will avoid discomfort while we share our opinions.

I hope there is no one here who will argue for censorship; this thread is only intended as a gentle nudge in the right direction, and not an invitation for debate.

I hope my message is not repugnant in that it sounds condescending; by no means does it imply that I embody the qualities that I am advocating for or that I am any better than anyone else. That is self-evidently false and arrogant.

Thank you!

18144 -
modify delete 18230 - Reply from Kae , 16 y.o. (USA) - 2018-10-17

I donít see it as censorship. This is a child friendly site with kids younger than 10, this is not a political website meant and made for adults who actually understand whatís going on. Iím anti-gun so Iíd rather not see post about them anyways. As well, lots of countries donít even have gun laws and their citizens arenít allowed to have them. Why would they care? They should ban post about guns, they have a right to as well, and I think, if anything, they should monitor posts about Islam. There are a lot of hateful people on the internet with nothing better to do than harass the Islamic faith. Itís not censorship.

18144 -
modify delete 18153 - Reply from Abram , 15 y.o. (USA) - 2018-04-06

Bonjour Nicolas!

I agree completely! I would elect you if you ran for office in my country! Almost any random, sober minded citizen would do a better job than our current officials.

Thanks for your thoughts!

18144 -
modify delete 18152 - Reply from Nicolas , 53 y.o. (France) - 2018-04-06

Well, I don't like to tell about my own opinions. But this is what I think personally:

- Religion can bring both the worst and the best; it just dťpends on people's mind.

- If I was a politic leader, I would stop wars and looting of poor countries. We should help poor countries to exploit themselves their own wealth (mineral resources, human ressources, renewable energy...), instead of just sending small amounts of money. They don't need begging ; just peace, respect and smart communication. Then, they will be able to grow, and poor people will be able to survive without having to leave their country.

18144 -
modify delete 18146 - Reply from Abram , 16 y.o. (usa) - 2018-04-04

Bonjour Nicolas!

Always! You're absolutely right; we're not here to "fight" each other, we're here to learn and expand our horizons. Proper debate should never be confused with fighting.

By the way, Nicolas, while you're here I'd like to see some of your own opinions. I'm sure you can bring something good to the table!

Thank you!

18144 -
modify delete 18145 - Reply from Nicolas , 53 y.o. (France) - 2018-04-04

Hello Abram,

I understand what you mean. Well, you can debate about gun prohibition if you like, provided you don't tell about religion issues, please, because it will bring division or hurt some people.

Please, just think about the aim of this website : allow people to know each other better ; not fight each other. Let's try to stay positive.

Thanks

Forum about Debates - Society - (c) Etudiants du Monde / Students of the World
if any remark / question, please contact the webmaster:

www.StudentsOfTheWorld.info